I have been thinking about the fellow that jumped into the lagoon on Sunday and just couldn’t help but feel sad…. spent time wondering what could have moved the young man to such an action. I read in the papers that he was just 35 years….
At 35 he was a medical doctor… had a car, and even a driver…from the Nigerian standard that sounds like a successful young man in all ramifications.
There probably were lots of his secondary school mates or his university mates envying him. But truth is no one knew what he was going through…..
I concluded that he was having a bout of depression and it took a bad turn. It brings me back to us. I will ask some pertinent questions that I am also guilty of.
1) When last did we check on a friend that we haven’t heard from in a while?
2) When last did we visit some one we knew was finding things difficult?
3) When we see someone who had it going so well and all of a sudden is finding it hard to make ends meet, do we make fun of them?
4) When was the last time we called the names of particular people in our midst during our prayers, to intercede on their behalf ?
5) When last did we encourage another with the Word of God?
The economy is tough and truly people are finding it more difficult to survive. We need to watch out for each other. We need to call, we need to visit. I am hoping we can bring some suggestions to make our welfare better.
We never know who needs just an ear to listen to all the problems he/she is going through. Let’s be more caring..I am guilty of this too. I am going to try as well. To at least call someone per day just to say hello! Lets ponder on this for a few seconds and decide to assist each other.
Written by: Damilola Odeyemi